Hi! I am Elizabeth Lim, the face behind Kale and Coconuts. I was born and raised in the Midwest but have always been a California girl at heart. I live in beautiful Manhattan Beach, CA, with my husband, Mark, and our goldendoodle, Teddy.
My journey into the world of food and nutrition was a long one… I had never eaten an avocado until I was in college and grew up thinking that peaches and green beans only came out of a can.
The first exposure I had to nutrition was during my first job in LA as a personal assistant where I had to jump right in and pretend that I knew what the heck a bulb of fennel was or how to cut open a mango or pick out the perfect melon! But I learned quickly and soon found myself very intrigued by the concept of eating food for its nutritional value.
It was a concept I couldn’t shake, and I was not only intrigued but became rather obsessed, and for me that meant scouring the internet for healthy food blogs and new recipes using foods I had never had before. It was an exciting and special time when I felt like I was having a revelation in discovering how incredibly delicious simple, healthy, real food is supposed to taste.
The more I cooked, the more my interest for nutrition developed and continued to grow. I took courses as a post-graduate student at CSULB to build upon my basic knowledge of nutrition and eventually attended The Institute for Integrative Nutrition where I received my certification as a holistic health counselor. Along my nutrition journey I was introduced to the ultimate healthy foods chef/cooking instructor/holistic nutrition guru Pamela Salzman whom I have been working with for the last several years. Cooking alongside an expert like Pamela allowed me to develop and hone my culinary skills and find my passion in the kitchen.
PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH
Knowing what I now know about food and nutrition I feel I have no other choice than to take control of what I am putting into my body, and the only way to do that is by taking the time to prepare the food myself in my own kitchen. There is a certain amount of love, care, and good intention put into a home cooked meal that cannot be replicated and an energy created when people partake in a meal that was cooked from scratch.
I love eating foods that make me feel good after I eat them, like my body is smiling and happy from all of the nourishment it gets. I often hear from people that they just don’t have time to cook; but for me, taking time to cook is non-negotiable. It takes top priority over anything else, and I am 100% committed to it at any cost. I truly believe there is nothing more important to put our time, energy, effort, and money into besides our health, and that absolutely starts in the kitchen.
Sharing anything and everything I know about nutrition, food, and cooking is my passion, and I love to see my clients go through the same discovery process that I initially went through. I created this website not only as a way to provide information for existing and prospective clients but as a way to connect with others who share the same passion or are interested in knowing more. I’d love to hear from you!
10 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT ME:
- Mexican is my favorite type of cuisine and you can find me eating chips and guac any given Friday night. I put hot sauce on almost everything I eat and have been known to carry around a bottle of Cholula in my purse.
- I don’t think I could make it through a week without reality TV on Bravo.
- Although I cook all different types of food for the work that I do, I eat vegan 99% of the time and think a whole-food, plant-based diet is where it's at!
- Monday is my favorite day of the week.
- Yoga is a huge part of my life. It took me years to get enough courage to go to my first class, which I did about 4 years ago and have gone almost every day since.
- I am unapologetically obsessed with Taylor Swift.
- Besides my beloved city of Los Angeles, my 3 favorite places on earth are Ojai, CA, Cabo San Lucas, & Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, FL.
- I start every morning with a walk on the beach with my pup.
- I met my husband/better half/love of my life, Mark, after falling and breaking my ankle. He worked at the clinic where I was rehabbing, and it was love at first sight :)
- I grew up in the Midwest and would tell my parents that I was born in the wrong state and I was meant to live by the beach. I would dream about moving to California and living on the beach one day, and I wake up everyday grateful that I am literally living out my dream!